Here's a snack I'm liking, it's easy:
1. take 2 walnut halves
2. Stick a date in the middle
I know, the pic has it backwards.
Why this is a good idea: fruit alone raises blood sugar a lot (we don't want that, high blood sugar ages us prematurely, and does a job on our moods and everything)....so we put protein with the fruit. Protein and fat both slows the increase of our blood sugar. So we get a calmer 'ride' - instead of straight up and then straight back down (what I call a "carb high"). So instead of just chowing on dates (and who can stop at 3?), we stick 'em between walnut halves, and suddenly we're getting protein, good fats (omega 3's)...and it's more filling...and keeps blood sugar down.
Turns out tasty and healthy CAN go together, who knew??
The other great things about this, umm, recipe, is:
1. It's still sweet, but it's not nearly as sweet as sugar, so your brain doesn't freak out and go, "OMG, I LOVE this!!", and then an hour later you feel like turd.
2. Dates are nutritious! They have iron, B6, magnesium, and a lot of fibre.
3. They look cool. I know, that matters.
4. According to the 'Doctrine of Signatures', a food will benefit the part of the body that it resembles. And walnuts look like...brains!
ps. buy organic if you can, sometimes its the same price as conventional - but you'll only know if you look! And whoever took the pic above got it backwards. I think dates *inside* of walnuts is better.
Want to take your health to another level? Get a free health strategy session >>
Hi, I'm Donovan Giraud. I'm a health coach, meditator and visionary, and I'm on a mission to help people heal themselves and evolve our world.