2200 calories: eat one column on the left, or....everything on the right.
We hear, "You just need to eat less, and exercise more". But the truth is, it's more about what we eat.
Weight loss is 80% diet, and only 20% exercise. As you see in the pic at the top, there are so many calories in an unhealthy diet, that even if you exercised all day, you couldn't burn it all off. You can't exercise your way out of an unhealthy diet.
With those myths buster, here's 6 common causes of weight gain:
1. High-glycemic Eating - eating in a way that raises blood sugar. The "Standard American Diet" does this very well. Having high blood sugar all the time is very hard on the body, and ages it prematurely, including the brain. To protect itself, the body turns that excess sugar into fat and stores it - as fat. High glycemic foods (foods that spike blood sugar) include sugar, flour (including bread), starchy veggies (like potatoes), and to a lesser extent, grains and fruit. I recommend making these foods the smallest part of our diet. They don't have to be avoided completely. If we just include more non-starchy veggies in our meals, we will automatically make our meals easier on our blood sugar, our waistline, and our brain.
2. Toxins - we are living in a sea of toxins. They are in our water, air, produce, and livestock (growth hormones and antibiotics). We also know that many pesticides, in our produce, are 'endocrine disruptors', which means they disrupt the delicate balance of hormones in our bodies. This is very serious, and can lead to weight gain, fatigue, brain-fog, and more. The solution is to a) filter your water, and b) eat a clean, nutritious diet with lots of veggies, and c) buy organic more often. Your liver requires many nutrients to process toxins and expel them.
3. Stress - when our stress response hits, our cortisol spikes and our blood sugar spikes too. Then our blood sugar drops. Over time, this can result in reactive hypoglycemia. So after a 'stress attack' you will often find yourself eating something sweet, or starchy, to raise your blood sugar up again. So its very important for success in weight loss, to decrease stress, and do things that stabilize blood sugar. Regular exercise helps our blood sugar to stabilize, and so does eating some fat and protein with every meal.
4. Food Sensitivities - these are foods that our body reacts to with an activation of our immune system, and can create everything from headaches to arthritis. The most common food sensitivities include gluten and dairy, but corn, soy, eggs, peanuts, and nightshades are also common. If you are sensitive to these, then your body creates chronic inflammation and that also leads to gaining fat. Removing food sensitivities can do much more than just help us lose weight. Some even find that migraines or back pain goes away. A simple solution? Eat 'paleo' more of the time.
5. Parasites - are actually very common and are at the root of many health problems. Parasites can make you crave high glycemic foods like sugar and bread. It's really the parasites that are hungry, not you. They can be killed with herbs or medications. "Candida" is one very common parasite/fungus worth learning more about if u have problematic sugar or carb cravings.
6. Deficiencies - I hear that as soon as you cross into the US (from Canada), you can be shocked to see that people are...bigger. There are more bellies walking around. So you would assume that these people are over-fed, right? But they are actually undernourished, and that's why they keep eating - because what they are eating is not providing them with the nutrition they need, so they never feel satisfied. They keep craving and eating, craving and eating. If your diet consists mostly of refined flour and processed meats, you will be lacking in many important nutrients. Many obese people are "overfed and undernourished". Their diets are high in calories but low in nutrients. They need to focus on nutrient density, not just reduce calories.
So, in short: If you work to create Health (which comes mostly from eating well), your body will find it's ideal weight, PLUS you'll get everything else that comes with Health.
- Healthify Your Favourite Meals
- How to Make a Protein Shake
- 6 Steps to Healthier Eating
- 13 Tips to Get Off Sugar That Are Not a Diet
Hi, I'm Donovan Giraud. I'm a health coach, meditator and visionary. I'm on a mission to help people heal themselves and evolve our world.